Wednesday, December 24, 2008

St. Maximilian Kolbe and Venerable Matt Talbot: Direct Experience Counts

People select one or more patron saints for a variety of reasons. This writer selected Matt Talbot because, for her, "direct experience counts." St. Maximilian is frequently mentioned as the patron saint of addicts, not because he was an addict but probably because when he did not die quickly enough from starvation, he was given a lethal injection of carbolic acid in the concentration camp at Auschwitz during World War II. (JB)



by The Prodigal Catholic
December 20, 2008

"...I'm really looking forward to praying the Venerable Matt Talbot Chaplet. I know St. Maximilian Kolbe is considered the Patron Saint of Addicts, but as far as I know he never dealt with addiction. The Venerable Matt Talbot did. And for this recovering Catholic, that makes all the difference for someone like myself who has struggled with addiction. For me if it changes the way I feel, it's a drug. And that includes alcohol. I sincerely hope that the Venerable Matt Talbot will not only be canonized as the Patron Saint of alcoholics, but also of addicts. He is truly an inspiration to me as someone who used his Catholic Faith as a mighty tool in his recovery from his addiction to alcohol."