Monday, December 31, 2018

Admitting Powerlessness

Having slowly studied the Bible and periodically making notes, this quote would have spoken to Matt Talbot. 

Step One: We Admitted We Were Powerless
TWELVE STEP SERIES (2014)
BY FR. EMMERICH VOGT, O.P.
A PUBLICATION OF THE WESTERN DOMINICAN PROVINCE
“I do not understand my own actions, for I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. I can will what is right but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand, for I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin which dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God-Jesus Christ our Lord!”
(Romans 7:15, 18b-25a)

Fr. Emmerich then proceeds to discuss Step One of recovery.